As a proud Converse enthusiast, I have to say that while the shoes are comfortable, they’re not exactly posh.
You can wear them with jeans and T-shirts, cargo pants and tanks, even denim skirts, but you can’t dress them up.
If you wear a pair of chucks with a dress, you just end up looking like an undergrad at NYU.
Well, I’m not an undergrad at NYU (no matter how hard I sometimes I wish I was), I’m a journalist pushing 30.
I just became a godmother again.
One of my oldest and dearest friends had a beautiful baby girl named Raiann a few months ago and she’s being baptized this weekend. While I’m deeply honored, I’ve had the toughest time picking out a gift for little Rai-Rai.
They say you should gift something religious for Christenings, but I don’t really feel too comfortable with that for a number of reasons:
- I’m not Catholic, which is what Raiann is going to be raised as. Is it right for me to pass on something that I am not even sure I believe in (as in, something Jesus-related)?
- I don’t know the Christian rules. (If I buy her a rosary, does it need to be blessed or is it good to go? If I get her a bible, are their different types of bibles — for denominations, for age groups, for gender?)
- Should the gift be representative of the kind of godmother I’m going to be? It may sound shallow but I want to be Raiann’s style godmother. I want to give her pretty dresses, give her style advice, show her how to use makeup, etc.
See, I don’t know these things. So I went on a hunt — virtually, that is. I came across a couple of things that I am considering for Raiann’s big day on Sunday. They are as follows:
- A gorgeous diary (for girls only, of course) from Lenox … I want Raiann to be the kind of girl who never stops expressing who she is to the world, as well as herself.
- A charm bracelet with her name engraved on a heart (for when she’s big enough to wear it) … In typical girl fashion, this is probably the sort of gift I would have loved growing up. It would be a defining sense of self for the woman she’s going to be someday, wouldn’t it?
- Bejeweled chucks … Yes, I found a company that blings out Converse for little girls.
I still have yet to decide what I’m going to purchase the precious little one, but there’s one thing that I know for sure: I envy my goddaughter — now I want bejeweled chucks! If anyone knows of a company that blings out adult chucks, let me know!